Soccer Complex: Gretna N.E. Soccer Club
City: Omaha, NE
Head of Grounds: Ken Heinrich
"For the past 2 years we have ONLY been using RTF Seed and Sod at our Soccer Complex. The reason we are only using RTF is because it uses less water and fertility than other Tall Fescues. Also it is able to not only stand up to the high amount of traffic from the players but it recovers like no other Tall Fescue."
"The Only Sod You'll Ever Need!"®
RTF Water Saver Sod is so scientifically advanced it was awarded a patent. Unlike other fescues RTF does not produce “ugly clumps" and is self-repairing by means of rhizomes; underground roots that spread and fill in bare or thin spots. RTF also uses less water than other fescues, is disease resistant and repels surface feeding insects.
What is RTF® sod?
RTF [ rhizomatous tall fescue] is an advanced turf-type tall fescue that produces rhizomes. Rhizomes are small underground lateral shoots that allow a plant to spread laterally. This enables the turf area to self repair itself. This self healing trait has been limited to bluegrass. Fescue, which is classified as a "clump grass" has never had this ability. Now you can have a lawn with the best traits of both bluegrass and fescue in one grass, RTF "Water Saver" fescue.
The rhizomes prevent the usual clumps that are associated with regular fescue. RTF is so revolutionary, Barenbrug USA, the seed company that developed it has entered into a license agreement with the RTF Turf Producers Association. This association was developed with the sole purpose of producing and marketing RTF fescue sod. Headquartered at Mead, Nebraska, this association licenses turf producers around the country to produce this remarkable new sod. Only the best turf farms will be allowed to grow RTF fescue. Todd Valley Farms is one of the few farms in the world to receive this honor. We serve the Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines and northern Kansas City metro area. To learn more about RTF "Water Saver" sod, go to www.rtfsod.com.
What about other fescues with Rhizomes
Technically speaking, virtually all fescues can produce a rhizome. But these will only grow to be about ¼ inch long making it pretty much useless. They do not prevent the wide bladed clumps that fescues are noted for. These so called rhizomes do not self repair in a reasonable time. While not totally false, these claims are very misleading. RTF is the only fescue to receive a US Patent. Patents are only granted if the grass has a very unique difference compared to other varieties in the same species. Rhizomes were listed as this unique difference.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Quickly fills in damaged or open spots with new shoots of grass
- High level of traffic tolerance
- Dense turf without open areas prevents weed growth
Strong, deep root system and drought tolerance
- Rapid development of a deep root system
- Excellent drought and heat tolerance with less irrigation
- Adaptable to a wide range of soil conditions
Grows great in sun or shade
- Excellent in the transition zone climate and other tall fescue turf regions
- Will not brown out in the intense summer heat
- One of the most shade tolerant cool season grasses
Excellent color and density
- Has fine leaves which produce a very dense, uniform sod
- Early spring greenup
- Withstands stressful hot temperatures and keeps its rich green color
Excellent insect and disease resistance
- Endophyte enhanced for improved insect, disease and drought tolerance
- Environmentally friendly, reduces chemical and fertilizer inputs
Improved value for the turf professional
- RTF sod requires less overseeding, has fewer weed problems and prevents "wide-leafed ugly clumps" of tall fescue plants
- Young plants first build the root and shoot system; then concentrate on producing rhizomes. With RTF sod, the rhizomes are already developed
- RTF sod, with the aid of rhizomes anchors itself faster, water requirements are reduced and turf can be used sooner
RTF, Water Saver and The Only Sod You'll Ever Need are all registered trademarks of